Making the Change
The R.E.S.T. programme was developed by chartered sleep psychologist and scientist David Lee to target the specific underlying causes of each patient's insomnia and to provide them the fastest, most effective solution. Therefore, only those elements of the R.E.S.T. programme that are applicable to you will be used.
Assessment (scroll down to download the assessment forms). Background information is essential for all clients. This will include:
- Medical history
- Personal history (of relevance)
- Development of the insomnia in your life
- Sleep diary – to be maintained during treatment
- Assessing the impact of insomnia on your life at present
Elements of the R.E.S.T. treatment programme:
Step 1: Routine
- Routine is the most important element for restoring natural sleep.
- Clients are helped to identify a consistent routine that is suitable and manageable for them.
- Includes developing an evening routine to prepare the mind for bed as well as the creation of the new sleep routine and breaking old habits.
- Implement the routine, including at weekends (at least during treatment).
Step 2: Environment (Sleep Hygiene)
- How to optimise the sleeping environment to provide the most conducive conditions for sleep.
- Reducing or removing any environmental factors that have negative consequences.
Step 3: Stimulation
- Certain activities, substances and foods have a significant impact on sleep and sleep quality, both good and bad.
Step 4: Thinking
- Providing strategies for clients to explore their thinking style, especially the impact of low mood and worry.
- Helping clients challeng long held beliefs and expectations about sleep.
Severn Sleep is the first dedicated CBTi sleep clinic in Shropshire, Powys and Worcestershire. Appointments are available at our clinics in Brecon, Ludlow, Shrewsbury and Worcester. Alternatively, we offer appointments via Skype to clients across the UK and rest of the world.