Cognitive Behavioural Therapy & REST
What is Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Insomnia (CBTi)?
A CBTi therapist will help you identify the factors that could be contributing to a poor sleep pattern and then give guidance on how to address any issues. This will usually include:
- Improving your sleep environment
- Diet & exercise
- Other stimulants
- Changing expectations about sleep
- Daily routines & circadian rhythm
- Daylight exposure
- Stress and anxiety
- Breaking poor sleep habits
- CBTi has an 80% success rate.
- It is usually very fast (2-4 weeks) and in most cases, permanently effective.
- It is the first line treatment recommended by N.I.C.E. (National Institute for Clinical Excellence) and the NHS for insomnia.
- It does not involve taking any sleeping medication.
What is R.E.S.T.?
- R.E.S.T. was recently developed as a second generation CBTi treatment with an 85% success rate, overcoming some of the limitations of CBTi.
- Brings results faster and more effectively by focusing on each client's specific requirement.
- Drugs might seem like a quick fix solution but always ask your GP if a referral for CBTi is more appropriate.
- Many sleeping medications are addictive and may also have significant side effects, not least drowsiness that can last for days.
- Doctors are only licensed to prescribe sleeping medication for up to 3 months. 96% of people taking prescription sleeping tablets have been taking them for longer than 3 months.
- Sleeping medication sedates rather than providing natural, healthy sleep - this is not usually a long term solution.
Please call us for a free conversation about your situation and how this therapy can help you. We may then ask that you download these forms and send them to us prior to your first appointment. The sleep diary should be completed for at least 10 days before the first appointment
Severn Sleep is the first dedicated CBTi sleep clinic in Shropshire, Powys and Worcestershire. Appointments are available at our clinics in Brecon, Ludlow, Shrewsbury and Worcester. Alternatively, we offer appointments via Skype to clients across the UK and rest of the world.